Saturday, December 15, 2007

crash bang

well. despite beginning the day on hold, waiting for the fedex guy, i miraculously managed to get my open house lists done, unpack the new surround system and get it halfway put together (need another set of hands to finish, to be sure i don't drop a second tv this year), AND made serious headway on my bake-sale baking. i had one or two recipes left in mind for tonight, then off to bed so as to wake up in time to get the goodies to the actual bake sale. and then... ugh.

already done: brownies, oatmeal butterscotch cookies, pumpkin bread, toffee biscotti...



brownie cupcakes (alright, i confess-- these came from a mix)...



and then, the key lime squares i've been so excited to try. i swear i followed the recipe to a T up til this point-- i adapted the streusel topping to add coconut, but that part hadn't made it to the oven yet. i was waiting for the first two layers to cook, sitting in the living room taking a smoke break, when i heard a disturbing crash coming from the kitchen. i tiptoed in, saw nothing out of the ordinary, and then i slowly opened the oven to find this:



looks like it's time for a drink.

Comments on "crash bang"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12/15/2007 4:48 PM) : 

I guess the old principle that quality control diminishes inversely proportionally to the amount of overtime worked holds true for household appliances, as well. Maybe you shouldn't run such a sweatshop in your kitchen.

By the way, thanks for the comment on my blog. It has been a discouraging letdown for me, not only in light of the degree of angst involved in my decision, but also because I scrapped my plans for spending Christmas overseas in the event I should be needed elsewhere. The abundance of encouraging e-mails and comments (two - why doesn't anyone leave comments at my place anymore?) has been uplifting, and yours was appreciated.

 

post a comment