Monday, May 15, 2006

prom, mom

well, i survived mother's day. woo! the good news is, it actually wasn't as bad for me as prom saturday, which i don't even want to talk about. the bad news is, my next-to-last table was a pair of my absolute favorite regulars... only it was the father & son w/o the mom. i barely said hello before i asked after her absence, on mother's day no less (i assumed she was just running late), and the dad told me that she'd had surgery this week. i didn't want to pry-- they come in several times a week, but still-- so i fed them and that was that. at the end, the father apologized for not having any cash-- a minor part of the reason they're favorites is his insistence on paying w/a credit card but always tipping (very well) in cash, though that pales in comparison to the fact that his voice sounds just like hunter s., and the plain fact that they're just damn nice folks, nevermind the results of my subsequent googling & finding out they're also fine community-supporting folks-- we got to chatting, and it turns out she was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. honestly, i barely know this woman, but it really hit me. we talked for a minute about stupid cancer, and i shared that my mom went through drama and such, and told him that soon it would be just another story that she could tell to her grandkids. and i hope that's true. hey there, universe? take good care of mrs. B, dammit.

i've officially picked up next sat/sun for the cafe. so that means i leave for NY on monday. 4am. one more night at my sunday bar. sadly, tonight my current drinking buddy decided she didn't like my bartender (for exactly the same reason that i DO like him), so it may be pulling teeth to get someone to go with me, but oh well. it's a shame, really. but i'll live. roomie is still on the fence about whether she's leaving june 1, but the honda money will cover full rent if need be. though it won't cover much else other than the back-owed. bah.

Comments on "prom, mom"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/26/2007 3:32 PM) : 

Keep up the good work » »

 

post a comment